Where did I go?



It's been over a month since I created a new video or posted on this blog. I've had a really hard time getting in front of my camera to create new content, and I can't really explain why. I don't think I've lost interest or am suffering from burnout. It actually feels closer to stage fright, or fear of creation.

I think part of this is due to my waning numbers as of late. The channel and blog aren't as popular (relevant?) as they once seemed to be, and the amount of subscribers and views are way down. At my peak I was gaining 250 subscribers per day. Now I am down to 30-40 subs per day. Not super inspiring.

It has also been almost two years since I produced a short film. Not only has this affected me as a filmmaker (I can feel the rust forming), but it also hampers content-building. I always get my best ideas when working on a film, usually as solutions to problems. The rest of the time my stuff comes from untested, what if scenarios. The first source is probably the best.

Instead of just returning with a new DIY video, I felt pretty strongly that I should give some kind of explanation of what was going on with me. I've always pretty very grateful for all the viewers who have hung in with me, and this video is mostly for them, the die-hard subscribers. They'll be the only ones to watch anyway.

So, here I am getting back on the horse. I'm not sure this is going to be any easier than it has been, but for me, it's necessary.


Comments

Unknown said…
Good to see you! I have yet to make a true short film. But my daughter and I are all ways making short short films for the family and your devices and techniques always come in handy. Thank you. There are always lows. What you create while in the low may be darker but dark films are always awesome. Get to work. Not because others care. But because you do!
John in Philly said…
Scott,

Good to see your post. I was getting a little worried.

I have learned a lot from your willingness to share information, and if I do something your way it turns out well.

Thank you for your time and effort.
Unknown said…
Seems like the move from the academic community, with all the people excited abut getting into film making, to the would cause a pretty drastic let down to me. Also the craze for DSLER film making seems to be dying down too. Hope your Muse returns soon.